Did Your Dog Get Stung By Bee Or Wasp CKC

Did Your Dog Get Stung by Bee or Wasp? Here’s What You Should Do

Dogs are born curious. They love chasing anything and everything. Playing the game of chasing bees and wasps can be fun for your dog, but it comes with a price of pain.

Other than wasps and bees, there are many other insects that can bite or sting your dog. Pests like mosquitos, ticks, ants, and fleas in the house can also be a nuisance and problem for your pets. Getting stung by bees or wasps is the most frightening and painful experience for your dog to go through. Although this is nothing fatal, you need to keep an eye out for any allergic reactions in your dog.

Where are dogs most likely to be stung?

Springs and summers are the seasons where bee stings and wasp bites on dogs become common. Most stings can be minor and handled at home, while some might be serious and need a veterinarian’s attention.

1. Dog bitten by a bee on paw

Dogs mostly get stung by bees on their paws when they try to bat them away. If this is the case, you might notice them limping, licking, or chewing at the bite.

2. Dog getting stung by bees on the mouth

Your dog could swallow a bee and get stung in the mouth or throat. Here, heavy swelling in his throat will block his windpipe, making it difficult for him to breathe. Contact your veterinarian immediately.

Symptoms of a Dog Stung By a Bee or Wasp

When a dog is bitten by a bee, its stinger release toxins that cause swelling, irritation, pain, and extreme discomfort. However, every dog is different, and their reactions to the toxin will differ. Some may develop slight swelling and discomfort, while others may develop major allergic reactions. You need to keep a closer look at the symptoms your dog shows.

Common dog bee sting symptoms:

  • Swelling
  • Pain
  • Limping

If your dog gets stung by a bee in the mouth:

  • Continuously licking their mouth
  • Coughing
  • Gagging
  • Excessive drooling
  • Vomiting or diarrhea

Signs Your Dog Might Have an Allergic Reaction

Dogs getting stung by bees have different reactions and show different signs. While some show minor discomfort, some might have severe allergic reactions. They might show allergic reactions within as quickly as 10 minutes or might get delayed for hours, and in rare cases, even a day.

Here are signs that show your dog is having an allergic reaction to a bee sting:

  • Falling sick
  • Excessive diarrhea
  • Swelling around the infected area
  • Severe weakness or getting collapsed
  • Wheezing and severe breathing problems
  • Disorientation

To avoid all these severities, please try to deter and prevent wasps through various available pest control methods. Growing some pest repelling plants in your yard and garden can also be helpful in keeping pests like wasps, mosquitoes, and flies away.

What To Do If Your Dog Has Been Stung By A Bee Or Wasp?

Single stings are mostly mild and nothing to get panicked about. They don’t need a major treatment for this; however, there are certain things you can take care of:

1. Remain calm

It is impossible to control your composure in situations like these, but it is necessary. The problem does not get better if you panic; hence, staying calm is the best option.

2. Be quick to recognize

If your dog is constantly licking his paw, chewing his foot, or if you see sudden swelling, consider the possibility of a bee sting.

3. Look for the stinger

When bees bite, they leave their stinger on the affected area. It continues to spread venom in the body. Remove them before more toxins get released into your dog’s body. Once you have recognized the bite location, look for a stinger. If it is still attached, remove it by scraping it with a credit card. Avoid using tweezers as that squeezes more venom into the body.

Only bees leave a stinger, so if your dog is stung by a wasp or any other insect, you do not need to worry.

4. Soothe the affected area

Soothing the affected area will help ease the discomfort for your dog. Make a thick paste of water and baking soda and apply it where your dog has been stung.

5. Apply an ice pack

Apply an ice pack or a frozen bag of peas to the affected area to soothe down the swelling. In larger areas, you can apply a cool towel.

6. Prevent allergic reaction

Oral consumption of antihistamines like diphenhydramine will minimize signs of allergic reactions and decrease itching. Do not give these without consulting your veterinarian before.

7. Avoid their urge to scratch

Prevent your dog from scratching or licking the wound as it will only delay the healing process and further create an infection. Use a pet cone for this purpose.

8. Keep your dog hydrated

Dogs that have been stung by bees in the mouth may find it difficult to eat solid food. Mix some water into their food to moist it for their ease. Ensure you always provide them access to freshwater.


1. Can I give antihistamines to my dog that has been stung by bees or wasps?

Some human antihistamines are okay for your dog’s health, while some can make them seriously ill or can even be fatal for them. Always consult your veterinarian before giving any medications to your dog.

2. When should I contact my vet?

If your dog is showing symptoms of an allergic reaction, like having difficulty in breathing, contact the vet immediately. If your dog appears to be fine but has been stung by a bee or wasp before, consult your vet. Multiple stings need immediate care. The sooner you consult, the better.

3. Can I stop my dog from getting stung by bees or wasps?

You would think your dog has learned a lesson after getting stung by a bee, but that’s far from reality. He will go behind these fuzzy creatures again, don’t blame him; he needs to feed his curiosity. All you can do is keep an eye to make sure he does not have any allergic reactions.

To keep your pet and family safe, make sure to hire a professional exterminator and get regular pest inspection and pest control done at your place.

Author Bio:
When people find their homes and offices infested with pests, it is not uncommon for them to panic. Raymond Web has taken the task to educate people on pest prevention and control strategies, helping them keep their surroundings healthy, safe, and pest-free. Being the digital marketing manager for Take Care Termite and Pest Control, a top-rated pest control service in Tracy, CA, he has an in-depth understanding of people and their pain points due to pests, which he uses in his content to educate

Recommended For you!

  • Why-Do-Dogs-Eat-Poopv2.jpg

    7 Reasons Why Your Dog May be Eating Poop (And How to Stop It)

    Read More
  • Healthy-Dog-Digestive-Tract.jpg (1)

    5 Must-Have Items for a Healthy Dog Digestive Tract

    Read More
  • Choosing-a-vet.jpg (1)

    5 Important Things to Consider When Choosing a New Vet

    Read More
  • 10-Benefits-of-Exercising-previewv3.jpg

    10 Benefits of Exercising with Your Dog

    Read More