HOW DO I GET CERTIFIED TO TEACH THE CURRICULUM?
There are two ways to obtain certification:
Option 1: Complete a Teacher Certification Workshop Online
For your convenience, CKC has developed an online program for teachers to get certified to teach the CCTP Level 1 curriculum. The Online Teacher Certification training requires approximately 24 hours of course work.
Option 2: Attend an In-Service Teacher Certification Workshop
Continental Kennel Club will host a workshop for teacher certification onsite for school systems that want to do an in-service workshop for their teachers. CKC will require three full eight-hour days for workshop.
HOW DO I GET THE CCTP LEVEL 1 CURRICULUM IN MY SCHOOL?
- A teacher must be certified to teach the CCTP Level 1 curriculum by completing a teacher certification workshop, sponsored by CKC, for Basic Canine Care and Handling.
- Approval of the CCTP Level 1 curriculum by a local administrator is necessary to ensure that the curriculum has been given adequate time by the school system to cover all of the material in a semester.
- Approval for accreditation may be required by the Department of Education in the state in which the course is being taught to ensure that students receive proper credit for the course work.
- In order to issue an industry-based certification to students, the curriculum must be taught one full semester, equivalent to a half-credit high school course.
IF I COMPLETED THE LEVEL 1 CERTIFICATION IN THE PAST, HOW CAN I GET ACCESS TO THE NEW ONLINE TEACHER CERTIFICATION TRAINING?
You can receive access to Online Teacher Certification training and receive the latest Level 1 teaching CDs and Level 1 Teachers Workbook for an upgrade fee. This gives you 24/7 access to the latest updates to the Level 1 curriculum.
After your order is processed, you will receive a username and password via email, along with the upgrade package with the teaching CDs and teacher workbook by mail.
WHAT IF MY SCHOOL IS GOING TO PAY ON MY BEHALF?
If you are not paying for the program yourself, we need a Purchase Order (PO) from your school or school district to process the order. Before your school will provide a PO, you will be required to submit the documents linked below to your school:
- W9 - An IRS form providing Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification
- Sole-Source Affidavit - A signed statement indicating this service is not available through any other vendor. If your school will not accept this generic form, please send us your school's form.
- Quote - A document, provided by Continental Kennel Club, showing the approximate cost for your school to authorize payment. To produce an estimate, we'll need your information, your school's information, and what you're purchasing.
Once we receive a PO from your school, we'll process the order. If the online course is selected, we'll email the user ID(s), email the password(s), and mail an invoice to your school. If you are ordering student workbooks, your items will be packaged and mailed out at this time.
An invoice will be mailed to your school and included with your order.
HOW DO I SIGN UP FOR ONLINE TEACHER CERTIFICATION TRAINING?
- Click the Sample It! link to view an actual presentation and take one of the online tests.
- Order by Phone 888.252.8042 or submit a Purchase Order via Fax 225.686.1545 or Email email@example.com.
- Once your order is processed, you will receive a username and password by email to access the Online Teacher Certification training for the CCTP Level 1 curriculum. Click the Log-In link, enter your username and password and begin.
The cost for the Level 1 Online Teacher Certification training is $350 per teacher.
HOW DO I GET STARTED WITH TEACHER TRAINING ONLINE?
- After purchasing the CCTP Level 1 Online Teacher Certification training package, the teacher will be issued a username and password to his or her email address.
- Individual section courses will appear in sequential order, followed by a test after each section course has been completely reviewed. After completion of each section’s course test, the next course will appear until all courses from all sections have been completed.
- All tests, including the Final Exam, are administered online. Teachers must score 80% or higher on each section course to move on to the next section course.
WHAT WILL I RECEIVE UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF THE CCTP LEVEL-1 ONLINE PROGRAM?
- Level 1 Teaching Certificate, which shows that all training and testing requirements for teaching the Level 1 curriculum have been completed
- All of the CCTP Level 1 curriculum material, including Teacher Certification PowerPoint presentations, all section course tests, and all answer keys for section courses
- A final exam and answer key
- A CCTP Level 1 Teacher's Workbook (student workbooks are sold separately)
- A dog training book and DVD for additional resource material
- Additional resource materials for student projects and recordkeeping
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS?
- The student must complete the CCTP Level 1 Student Workbook and have each activity initialized by the teacher.
- The student must maintain at least a C average for the CCTP Level 1 curriculum if taught as a standalone, half-credit agriculture science course, or
- The student must maintain at least a C average for the CCTP Level 1 curriculum if taught within another course, such as Small Animal Care or Vet Tech.
- The student must complete at least eight hours of hands-on work in a canine-related field or occupation either at school or outside the classroom.
- The student must score 80% or better on the CCTP Level 1 final exam.
DO STUDENTS GET ANY KIND OF RECOGNITION FOR TAKING THE COURSE?
The CCTP Level 1 Curriculum: Basic Canine Care & Handling has been accepted as an accredited course by the Louisiana Department of Education. School systems can incorporate the course into their Agriculture/Science or Vocational Training clusters and issue a half credit for students completing the course. For students who meet the IBC requirements, Continental Kennel Club will issue an industry-based certification recognizing their preparation and attainment of the specific skill set necessary for safely working with dogs in a canine-related job or occupation. Click here to download the Excel form to submit student names for certification.