It’s been on your to-do list for months, the empty checkbox mocking you.
Repair doghouse, it says. But between work, spending time with the kids, and all those other to-dos that you haven’t been . . . well . . . doing, you’re zapped. Every ounce of energy you stored up from that last Snickers bar has disappeared—poof!—and now you can barely press the TV’s remote button.
And, alas, it seems that not repairing the doghouse is another checkmark to put you in it—the doghouse, that is. Fear not, you household handymen, we’ve got fifteen ideas to inspire your creativity and upgrade Rover’s crash pad with some personal flair.
So, while you’re in the doghouse, roll up your sleeves and grab the hammer, nails, some timber, and a bucket of paint. It is the twenty-first century after all, and the modern doghouse is shedding its boring A-frame with chipped paint, its crude lettering above the door, its splintering wood, and its leaky roof. Pampered pooches can now luxuriate in split-level bungalows, multistoried towers, and even castles. From the themed to the creative, chic to just plain weird, these doghouses will either validate your hardworking spirit or inspire you to tackle that to-do list.
1. Catch Rover in cameo on the old set. Don’t touch that dial! He’ll be right back, folks, after these messages . . . and dinner.
2. Fashion a hobbit hole for the well-read dog.
You can actually buy one here
3. For the well-traveled pet, make mobility the goal.
4. Is your canine culturally curious? Help him explore architecture from a different continent.
5. Or, support his nationalism. Vive la France!
6. If you’ve got a party animal on your hands, you might consider something more intrinsic.
7. Embrace his pioneer alter ego with a waggin’ train...
…or a rustic dog cabin.
8. Complement his knightly character with a medieval castle.
9. Build an artist’s studio with a terraced ruff for the imaginative artist.
10. Lavish him like a Hollywood hound.
11. Or showcase his interest in American history with colonial architecture.
13. Try a Spanish villa, complete with interior courtyard.
14. Is your dog environmentally conscious?
15. Or, craft a modern design for the ultra-urbanite.
But, no matter what the doghouse looks like, home is where the hound is.